In a matter of seconds, the CANopener Flash will enable the Trailer Brake Controller in your vehicle. Simply plug the CANopener™ Flash programmer into your vehicle's OBDII diagnostic port under your steering column for a moment to perform the required programming. Swap the existing dash pocket for a trailer brake controller from the Ford HERE (P/N: JL3Z-19H332-AA) and you are done!
The trailer brake controller assists in smooth and effective trailer braking by powering the trailer’s electric or electric-over-hydraulic brakes with a proportional output based on the towing vehicle’s brake pressure. You can adjust the level of initial trailer brake output by selecting one of three
settings using the information display. Choose Low, Medium or High for the initial trailer brake output you require.
- CANopener™ Flash Programmer
- Easy Plug n' Play install
- Simple DIY vehicle programming
- CANopener programmers are not covered under our normal return policy. Once plugged into a vehicle, they become "locked" to that vehicle / device and can not be used on another vehicle. For this reason, they are not refundable once used.
- 2015-2020 Ford F-150 (Customer must purchase trailer brake controller hardware - the included CANopener simply programs the vehicle as required to avoid a trip to the dealer).
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I purchased the programmer recently. Also, I found the actual Ford part on Ebay. It was listed for $89 or best offer. Offered the vendor $75 and it was accepted.
On my '15 XLT, there was a small cubby where the controller is mounted. It is kinda low actually, and to the right of the steering wheel.
There are a couple of good videos on YouTube on how to remove the cubby and install the controller. Takes about 45 mins to an hour from start to finish.
Afterwards, I plugged the programmer in the OBD port. Initially, I kept getting a flashing red instead of the green "success" light. But, after about 3 or 4 attempts, it worked. Not sure what went wrong on the initial attempts.
Regardless, I have a functioning trailer brake controller now that is OEM in appearance and function.